Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/formosam/public_html/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/formosam/public_html/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

FormosaMBA 傷心咖啡店 • 檢視主題 - 有沒有人major in consumer psychology of PhD?

有沒有人major in consumer psychology of PhD?

所有博士申請的經驗交流分享

有沒有人major in consumer psychology of PhD?

文章stamps » 2008-04-07 22:34

各位大大

真的好不容易看到版上有人討論商學院PhD

之前我一直放不下工作,一邊做marketing,每天加班到半夜一邊準備的結果就是又浪費了一年 TOEFL:88, AT:580

終於下定決心把工作辭了(做到這個月底)
想問問去年底一直苦思的選校問題

我只想唸consumer psychology,可否推一下學校?或就您目前唸的學校聊一下 consumer psychology方面師資?

研究了各校師資,目前看來似乎只有些名校Stanford, Kellogg等的師資較齊,想找小而美的 學校試試,但這樣的學校似乎較難由一般排行榜中找到

謝謝

剛辭去百萬年薪工作而想去做研究的人
stamps
初級會員
初級會員

文章: 69
註冊時間: 2007-06-24 01:04

Re: 有沒有人major in consumer psychology of PhD?

文章hsudk » 2008-04-08 01:38

Try to contact Professor Yong Liu at University of Arizona. Although he is a Marketing professor interested in movie, he also has some explosure to consumer psychology and may give you constructive advice. Good luck.
For PhD Applicants: http://phdent.blogspot.com/
hsudk
中級會員
中級會員

文章: 196
註冊時間: 2005-11-04 15:03

文章antipower » 2008-04-08 06:48

Are you referring to consumer psychology or consumer behavior? though they are similar but are actually offered by different departments
antipower
初級會員
初級會員

文章: 66
註冊時間: 2005-07-18 13:35

文章stamps » 2008-04-08 22:12

hsudk \$m[1]:Try to contact Professor Yong Liu at University of Arizona. Although he is a Marketing professor interested in movie, he also has some explosure to consumer psychology and may give you constructive advice. Good luck.

Thank you!
I will contact Prefessor Yong Liu and try to get some advice. Movie sounds interesting.
stamps
初級會員
初級會員

文章stamps » 2008-04-08 22:25

antipower \$m[1]:Are you referring to consumer psychology or consumer behavior? though they are similar but are actually offered by different departments

Hi! Thanks for reminding!

I know they are quite different. But I prefer in the part of psychology. I know that students majoring in consumer behavior in business school must study consumer psychology in advance. I am more interested in the theoretical side. Isn't it attributed in business school?

Every person I know told me stop thinking about psychology because Chinese are good in math and my working experience will help a lot if I research in quantitative study. Besides, psychology needs really GOOD English. So it's hard for a non native speaker to study. Is it true?
stamps
初級會員
初級會員

文章antipower » 2008-04-09 07:48

Usually students in Marketing dept. major in consumer behavior or quantitative or both. Students who are interested in CB do not necessarily need consumer psychology background. Students interested in the theoretical side of consumer behavior or consumer psychology sometimes pursue their Ph.D. in the psyc dept or other depts, not necessarily in business school. But if you can go to business school, I suggest you go.

Besides, my suggestion to the major is: choose your major by your research interests. Though you seem to have solid background in quan, research interest is more important for your academic career. Besides, I guess most people in business school have good quantitative backgrounds; some people who even majored in statistics or economic before. Maybe your quan skills are not the Tops in your class.

As for the language requirement, I think the requirement in b-school is even more strict than psyc dept, pretty much the same as that in clinical psychology.
antipower
初級會員
初級會員

文章stamps » 2008-04-09 22:05

antipower \$m[1]:Usually students in Marketing dept. major in consumer behavior or quantitative or both. Students who are interested in CB do not necessarily need consumer psychology background. Students interested in the theoretical side of consumer behavior or consumer psychology sometimes pursue their Ph.D. in the psyc dept or other depts, not necessarily in business school. But if you can go to business school, I suggest you go.

Besides, my suggestion to the major is: choose your major by your research interests. Though you seem to have solid background in quan, research interest is more important for your academic career. Besides, I guess most people in business school have good quantitative backgrounds; some people who even majored in statistics or economic before. Maybe your quan skills are not the Tops in your class.

As for the language requirement, I think the requirement in b-school is even more strict than psyc dept, pretty much the same as that in clinical psychology.

Thank you!
Your suggestion is really helpful! Actually I did major in Economics in university. But my quan skill is really bad. And my Master degree major is Marketing. I did some research in brand equity at that time. After years being a marketing person, I am much sure about my interest. Therefore, I think I will stay with consumer psychology in business school.
stamps
初級會員
初級會員

文章xhoward » 2008-04-12 01:08

Hi, stamps,

I major in SCM so I may not be able to provide you in-depth information just as antipower posted earlier.
Did you take Purdue into account? Purdue has a strong Ph.D. program in consumer and retaling sciences. And the program is kind of different from Marketing Ph.D. program in Krannert.

As I know, a few Taiwan alumni of the program are successfully placed in B-school of NTU, NCCU, and NTHU.
They do have great performance. So you may take a try.

However, GMAT/TOEFL scores really count. You have to elevate scores in both tests to meet the basic criteria/get the ticket so that you can join the competion. Otherwise, your application package is gonna drown in the pool of applicants. Even you have a solid backgrond and numerous accomplishments, on which you should never count becasue they cannot dilute the importance of standardized tests scores at all.

Good luck.

Howard

stamps \$m[1]:
Thank you!
Your suggestion is really helpful! Actually I did major in Economics in university. But my quan skill is really bad. And my Master degree major is Marketing. I did some research in brand equity at that time. After years being a marketing person, I am much sure about my interest. Therefore, I think I will stay with consumer psychology in business school.
頭像
xhoward
初級會員
初級會員

文章: 22
註冊時間: 2006-01-18 23:15
來自: College Station, TX

文章stamps » 2008-04-14 23:45

Hi Howard,

Thank you so much for your advice! I do know the importance of good scores in GMAT and TOEFL tests. Therefore, I quit my job for it.

Do you major in supply chain management? I am not sure about the SCM. From the only information I could get from the Internet,it seems that there is only one faulty-Oakley, Jim- specializes in consumer psychology in Purdue. Am I wrong? Really hope to get to know more about those teachers who don't write anything on their web-pages.

Just came back from office
stamps

xhoward \$m[1]:Hi, stamps,

I major in SCM so I may not be able to provide you in-depth information just as antipower posted earlier.
Did you take Purdue into account? Purdue has a strong Ph.D. program in consumer and retaling sciences. And the program is kind of different from Marketing Ph.D. program in Krannert.

As I know, a few Taiwan alumni of the program are successfully placed in B-school of NTU, NCCU, and NTHU.
They do have great performance. So you may take a try.

However, GMAT/TOEFL scores really count. You have to elevate scores in both tests to meet the basic criteria/get the ticket so that you can join the competion. Otherwise, your application package is gonna drown in the pool of applicants. Even you have a solid backgrond and numerous accomplishments, on which you should never count becasue they cannot dilute the importance of standardized tests scores at all.

Good luck.

Howard

stamps \$m[1]:
Thank you!
stamps
初級會員
初級會員

文章hughes0305 » 2008-04-18 00:56

Hi stamps,

I am a consumer behavior PhD student at University of Maryland now. But, it seems that UMD is not in your school selection list (since we are kind of a large department). Otherwise, I think our school does have lots of great behaviorists that suit your need.

In terms of your specific school preference, I can suggest schools like Purdue (not business school but consumer science department), U of Cincinnati, or City University of New York (CUNY). Those schools have good consumer behavior faculty I think and you can have more detail by looking their faculty website. But still, I think the PhD admission is as competitive as most of the other business school. So, be prepared and good luck!

Hughes

stamps \$m[1]:各位大大

真的好不容易看到版上有人討論商學院PhD

之前我一直放不下工作,一邊做marketing,每天加班到半夜一邊準備的結果就是又浪費了一年 TOEFL:88, AT:580

終於下定決心把工作辭了(做到這個月底)
想問問去年底一直苦思的選校問題

我只想唸consumer psychology,可否推一下學校?或就您目前唸的學校聊一下 consumer psychology方面師資?

研究了各校師資,目前看來似乎只有些名校Stanford, Kellogg等的師資較齊,想找小而美的 學校試試,但這樣的學校似乎較難由一般排行榜中找到

謝謝

剛辭去百萬年薪工作而想去做研究的人
頭像
hughes0305
中級會員
中級會員

文章: 179
註冊時間: 2005-11-01 23:50
來自: Maryland-USA

文章hughes0305 » 2008-04-18 01:16

English fluency is really a big challenge for us, I do do believe!! But, that does not mean you can not have good research. I face a lot of difficulty in communicating my thought and understanding others' in the behavioral class for seceral reasons,
(1) We are not that sensitive to each words. For example, can you tell that the word "decompose" has a negative idea when it jumps to your mind?
(2) Class members are mostly western or even American. As antipower said, there are two groups of PhD students in marketing, behavioral and quantitative. In my school, of total 14 PhD students now, 5 of the 6 behavioral students are western students and 6 of 8 quant stuents are from Asia (Taiwan, Korea, China, and India). As a result, your classmates, mainly native speaker, will not wait for you but keep on their discussion. Sometimes, you can not even catch their ideas but suddenly they jump to the conclusion. That's is the toughest part as a behavior/psy PhD student I think.
(3) Lots of words or terms in English can not find a direct, corresponding translation in Chinese. And, the word definition in psy should be very accurate and specific. For example, mood, affection, emotion are quite similar in Chinese and is also hard to clearify them in English, but we have to deal with those similar words. Furthermore, what is heuristic? This is a word that I never met before entering this program, but it is used quite often in the psyc literature.

In sum, there are lots of difficulties for us to study in this field, especially if you have limit experince living a English speaking countries. But, this should never be an excuse of not chasing your dream. ^_^

Hughes

stamps \$m[1]:
antipower \$m[1]:Are you referring to consumer psychology or consumer behavior? though they are similar but are actually offered by different departments

I know they are quite different. But I prefer in the part of psychology. I know that students majoring in consumer behavior in business school must study consumer psychology in advance. I am more interested in the theoretical side. Isn't it attributed in business school?

Every person I know told me stop thinking about psychology because Chinese are good in math and my working experience will help a lot if I research in quantitative study. Besides, psychology needs really GOOD English. So it's hard for a non native speaker to study. Is it true?
頭像
hughes0305
中級會員
中級會員

文章: 179
註冊時間: 2005-11-01 23:50
來自: Maryland-USA

文章hsudk » 2008-04-18 10:09

Hi Hughes,

It seems that our research interests are kind of similar. I am looking into cognition and how it affects entrepreneurs' behaviors and decision making. Most of Asian students at SU are in Finance, Accounting, and qualitative Marketing. For Management, Strategy, and Entrepreneurship, all (around 15 students) are native speakers except for two from India and one from Taiwan.

hughes0305 \$m[1]:English fluency is really a big challenge for us, I do do believe!! But, that does not mean you can not have good research. I face a lot of difficulty in communicating my thought and understanding others' in the behavioral class for seceral reasons,
(1) We are not that sensitive to each words. For example, can you tell that the word "decompose" has a negative idea when it jumps to your mind?
(2) Class members are mostly western or even American. As antipower said, there are two groups of PhD students in marketing, behavioral and quantitative. In my school, of total 14 PhD students now, 5 of the 6 behavioral students are western students and 6 of 8 quant stuents are from Asia (Taiwan, Korea, China, and India). As a result, your classmates, mainly native speaker, will not wait for you but keep on their discussion. Sometimes, you can not even catch their ideas but suddenly they jump to the conclusion. That's is the toughest part as a behavior/psy PhD student I think.
(3) Lots of words or terms in English can not find a direct, corresponding translation in Chinese. And, the word definition in psy should be very accurate and specific. For example, mood, affection, emotion are quite similar in Chinese and is also hard to clearify them in English, but we have to deal with those similar words. Furthermore, what is heuristic? This is a word that I never met before entering this program, but it is used quite often in the psyc literature.

In sum, there are lots of difficulties for us to study in this field, especially if you have limit experince living a English speaking countries. But, this should never be an excuse of not chasing your dream. ^_^

Hughes

stamps \$m[1]:

hsudk
中級會員
中級會員

文章antipower » 2008-04-18 10:25

Hi hsudk,

How's going? Now I'm reading some cognitive psyc paper about group decision making. The paper from JPSP, Psychological Review, and Psychological Bulletin almost drives me crazy. Will you go back to Taiwan during summer? Maybe we guys can get together again to share our first first-year experience? Is anyone going back to Taiwan during summer?
antipower
初級會員
初級會員

文章hsudk » 2008-04-19 03:44

Hi Anitpower,

I remember that your are in OB/HR, right? I attended an OB seminar last semester, which had a lot of psychology stuff. Group decision making sounds interesting. Are you an individual-level or firm-level guy? I find my interests shifting from firm level to individual level and am currently looking into passion and stress.

I don' t have time going back to Taiwan this summer. Are you going to the Academy this August?

antipower \$m[1]:Hi hsudk,

How's going? Now I'm reading some cognitive psyc paper about group decision making. The paper from JPSP, Psychological Review, and Psychological Bulletin almost drives me crazy. Will you go back to Taiwan during summer? Maybe we guys can get together again to share our first first-year experience? Is anyone going back to Taiwan during summer?
hsudk
中級會員
中級會員

文章antipower » 2008-04-20 06:00

My major interest lies on individual level. However, I'm still interested in entrepreneur's leadership and inter-org relationship. I'll also go to AOM this year.
antipower
初級會員
初級會員

下一頁

回到 PhD 申請交流區

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 3 位訪客