Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/formosam/public_html/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/formosam/public_html/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

FormosaMBA 傷心咖啡店 • 檢視主題 - 請問MS可以直升博士嗎?

請問MS可以直升博士嗎?

所有博士申請的經驗交流分享

請問MS可以直升博士嗎?

文章szlin49 » 2007-09-30 22:36

:laugh
我想先讀商管類的MS,之後再直升博士...
但是不知道美國是否有這樣的直升制度..
亦即不需再另外申請一次...??
謝謝各位大大~~
也希望如果有直升經驗的大大能提供給小妹一些意見~~
感謝感謝~~
szlin49
新手會員
新手會員

文章: 9
註冊時間: 2006-08-15 10:46

Re: 請問MS可以直升博士嗎?

文章hughes0305 » 2007-10-01 04:00

szlin49 \$m[1]::laugh
我想先讀商管類的MS,之後再直升博士...
但是不知道美國是否有這樣的直升制度..
亦即不需再另外申請一次...??
謝謝各位大大~~
也希望如果有直升經驗的大大能提供給小妹一些意見~~
感謝感謝~~

Basically, NO! But, of course, if you are already in a particular program, you have some advantage over other applicants. As far as I know, in University of Maryland, of among the 24 new PhD students in Business School, only one was just graduated from here with a MBA degree with specification in Finance. However, I believe he also had submitted his application.

Hughes
頭像
hughes0305
中級會員
中級會員

文章: 179
註冊時間: 2005-11-01 23:50
來自: Maryland-USA

文章szlin49 » 2007-10-01 22:43

Thanks a lot...Hughes... Actually, I originally want to apply phd program directly. I have already gotten the test for three times, however, my gmat scores are not over 700...:( I am so frustrated that I give up applying phd program directly. ...唉~~
szlin49
新手會員
新手會員

文章hughes0305 » 2007-10-02 01:30

Well.....don't be frustrated by the test. If you try harder, you will get the reward. Lots of people took more than three times to get a good score. Besides, GMAT does not account for the whole PhD application. You can also focus more on your advantage within your application package. Anyway, just wanna to encourage you!
頭像
hughes0305
中級會員
中級會員

文章hsudk » 2007-10-02 06:41

szlin49 \$m[1]:Thanks a lot...Hughes... Actually, I originally want to apply phd program directly. I have already gotten the test for three times, however, my gmat scores are not over 700...:( I am so frustrated that I give up applying phd program directly. ...唉~~

Waht's the score? I think the cut-off score is 680. I scored 690 and got in. Admissions committee ususally make decisions upon the applicant's total package. If you are targeting top30, however, it's better to score more than 700. Besides, if you apply to PhD programs with lower GMAT, you better have a strong work experience or more than one Master's degree to compete with others.
For PhD Applicants: http://phdent.blogspot.com/
hsudk
中級會員
中級會員

文章: 196
註冊時間: 2005-11-04 15:03

文章szlin49 » 2007-10-04 00:12

Thanks for your encouragement..Hughes and Hsudk...I only have two years post-Master experience (for Research Assistant) and one Master degree. Those conditions may not be strong enough to compete with others..I think I must try harder and harder to get a higher score...BTW..My researches mainly focus on strategy, especially technology strategy..Do you know someone who also focus on the same filed? Thanks a lot..
szlin49
新手會員
新手會員

文章antipower » 2007-10-04 08:11

GMAT score does matter if you don't have other relevant experience. For most of Top 50 schools, 700+ is the basic. (Hsudk, I know you have relevant work experience, so that is different). There are two strategy guys (Technological Entrepreneurship) in my class. One has excellent experience in a world famous high-tech company; the other has a relevant teaching experience at B-School. Since you are a research assistant now, try to get more publications and squeeze time to study GMAT (I believe you can). If you really want to study Ph.D. at B-school, be prepared for heavy work load and course load.
antipower
初級會員
初級會員

文章: 66
註冊時間: 2005-07-18 13:35

文章Jade » 2007-10-04 11:08

szlin49 \$m[1]:Thanks for your encouragement..Hughes and Hsudk...I only have two years post-Master experience (for Research Assistant) and one Master degree. Those conditions may not be strong enough to compete with others..I think I must try harder and harder to get a higher score...BTW..My researches mainly focus on strategy, especially technology strategy..Do you know someone who also focus on the same filed? Thanks a lot..

Given your background, a 700+ GMAT score is almost a must. If you want to be more competitive, try to score above 730.

Which topics of technology strategy are you interested in? Do you have specific preferences in terms of theoretical framework? (i.e., RBV, KBV, TCE, learning perspective, etc.)

How is your research experience? It would be a big plus if you have some (co-authored) papers out there. Working papers are fine as well-- better than nothing. Since you have worked as RA for two years, you probably have had some papers or at least relevant research experience?
Jade
中級會員
中級會員

文章: 129
註冊時間: 2004-12-10 13:31

文章szlin49 » 2007-10-07 01:16

Thanks a lot..antipower and Jade. I am interested in some topics such as technology transfer, technological innovation management, and the link between technology strategy and performance. In my thesis, I mainly used RBV and TCE for the theoretical frameworks. I have two papers(the first author) and one working paper. I think the first important work for me is to study GMAT. I really need some luck...God bless me. > <
szlin49
新手會員
新手會員

文章Jade » 2007-10-07 13:22

szlin49 \$m[1]:Thanks a lot..antipower and Jade. I am interested in some topics such as technology transfer, technological innovation management, and the link between technology strategy and performance. In my thesis, I mainly used RBV and TCE for the theoretical frameworks. I have two papers(the first author) and one working paper. I think the first important work for me is to study GMAT. I really need some luck...God bless me. > <

Since you have had some papers, it would help your application if you do at least two things when writing SOPs: first, of course, summarize the most interesting points of your major findings; second, identify the "holes" extant literature and show the committees how you helped to fill these voids by your research.

For example, it's intriguing that you use both TCE and RBV to write your thesis. The committees should be interested in seeing how you integrated these two divergent but complementary theories.

Did you present your papers at AOM, SMS or other major conferences? Or, even better, have you had any publications?
Jade
中級會員
中級會員

文章hsudk » 2007-10-08 02:34

szlin49 \$m[1]:Thanks a lot..antipower and Jade. I am interested in some topics such as technology transfer, technological innovation management, and the link between technology strategy and performance. In my thesis, I mainly used RBV and TCE for the theoretical frameworks. I have two papers(the first author) and one working paper. I think the first important work for me is to study GMAT. I really need some luck...God bless me. > <

Since you already have a Master's degree, it's not necessary for you to get another Master's degree for your PhD application, as most PhD programs require you to submit the applications again even if you are their graduate student.

Besides, it seems that your research interest is much in accord with that of RPI, where Dr. O'Corner is a big name in technology transfer as well as radical innovation. You may try to contact her and seek her advice on your background and application. Good luck.
For PhD Applicants: http://phdent.blogspot.com/
hsudk
中級會員
中級會員

文章: 196
註冊時間: 2005-11-04 15:03

文章szlin49 » 2007-10-11 01:32

Thanks for your good advice...Jade and hsudk...

To Jade:
Thank your for your good advice about the content of SOP. I present two papers on conferences. I also have one working paper and three disquisitions. Three disquistions were finished in undergraduate and were published in my university. May I put those disquistion experence into my research experence?

To hsudk
PRI is in my list. Thanks a lot..I will try to contact Dr. O'Corner.

Besides, I read some articles of hughes0305. His SOP mainly includes some parts as follows:
(1) 你的相關學業或工作背景
(2) 你的長期與短期職涯規劃
(3) 你的研究興趣
(4) 為什麼想申請我們學校,我們學校如何滿足你的需求
So, is every part one paragraph? or...?
szlin49
新手會員
新手會員

文章hughes0305 » 2007-10-11 12:16

I think my sop includes 5 paragraphs, but sorry I can not be that sure. The points I mentioned were all included in my SOP, and basically YES, with each topic as the theme of each paragraph. You can adress them in each paragaphs with "example." Be specific is expected and highly encouraged. Of course, you don't have to follow mine. Take a look at each school's requirement and expectation, and you will have more ideas about the content of your SOP.
頭像
hughes0305
中級會員
中級會員

文章Jade » 2007-10-12 23:32

szlin49 \$m[1]: I present two papers on conferences. I also have one working paper and three disquisitions. Three disquistions were finished in undergraduate and were published in my university. May I put those disquistion experence into my research experence?

Which conference(s) did you present? The reputation of conferences matters a lot.

And of course you could count your undergrad disquisitions as your research experience, but how influential they are in your application is another question. Schools tend to pay more attention to "real" research experience, and most undergrad works probably won't fall into this category. However, it's another story when it comes to American undergraduates' honor works -- they can often catch committees' eyes. But this is not equally true for most international applicants.
Jade
中級會員
中級會員

回到 PhD 申請交流區

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 3 位訪客