Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/formosam/public_html/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/formosam/public_html/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

FormosaMBA 傷心咖啡店 • 檢視主題 - 有PhD申請經驗的人嗎?

有PhD申請經驗的人嗎?

所有博士申請的經驗交流分享

有PhD申請經驗的人嗎?

文章gabby1 » 2007-08-22 14:52

Hello all,

I am kind of new to this website. Let me tell you a little bit about my background:

Brigham Young University BS-Accounting, MAcc 2004, Cum Laude, GPA: 3.84
US-CPA (Massachusetts)
Deloitte audit (1 yr 3 months experience), Boston, MA
KPMG consulting, senior consultant (1 yr so far)
GMAT: 680 (going to retake in a month)

Published a research paper in school research publication on insider trading in taiwan. Other than that have very little research experience in graduate school.

I have been researching on line about PhD programs in accounting. So far I am impressed with a few schools such as Rochester, Chicago, or Stanford. I know my current GMAT scores are not high enough to apply for those schools so I am going to try my best to boost up my score (totally didn't control my time at the quantitative section, messed up), anyway, welcome any insight on what schools to apply and what my chances are of getting into them.

Thanks!!
gabby1
新手會員
新手會員

文章: 5
註冊時間: 2007-08-22 13:22

文章hsudk » 2007-08-22 20:58

You have a solid background. My advice is to score a higher GMAT. 700+ is much better. Besides, visit those schools interesting you in person. Talk to professors face to face. This would boost your chance of getting admitted. Good luck.
For PhD Applicants: http://phdent.blogspot.com/
hsudk
中級會員
中級會員

文章: 196
註冊時間: 2005-11-04 15:03

文章gabby1 » 2007-08-22 23:26

Hello Hsudk,

Thanks for your candid advice. Yeah I know I need to get a higher score. I actually went to some websites discussing the competitiveness of business school PhD applications, and was definitely appalled by the low acceptance rates (for top 50 schools the rates were like 6-8%). That's like medical school acceptance rates! Outrageous!! Anyway. Thanks for your advice!
gabby1
新手會員
新手會員

文章gabby1 » 2007-08-22 23:26

Hello Hsudk,

Thanks for your candid advice. Yeah I know I need to get a higher score. I actually went to some websites discussing the competitiveness of business school PhD applications, and was definitely appalled by the low acceptance rates (for top 50 schools the rates were like 6-8%). That's like medical school acceptance rates! Outrageous!! Anyway. Thanks for your advice!
gabby1
新手會員
新手會員

文章gabby1 » 2007-08-22 23:33

Hello Hsudk,

gabby1
新手會員
新手會員

文章hsudk » 2007-08-23 10:06

gabby1 \$m[1]:Hello Hsudk,

You may be interested in this post, http://www.formosamba.com/phpBB3/viewtopi ... 29&start=0, a discussion that may give you a general idea about the acceptance rate.
For PhD Applicants: http://phdent.blogspot.com/
hsudk
中級會員
中級會員

文章: 196
註冊時間: 2005-11-04 15:03

文章Richard Lu » 2007-08-26 00:25

If you are interested in insider trading, Darren Roulstone of Chicago is THE person to go. You should definitely contact him and maybe raise some interesting questions. I think he got his BA and MAcc from BYU as well. That's a big plus (probably worth more than 200 points on GMAT). You may also want to keep in mind that Chicago is probably THE best school in business research. Getting in is extremely difficult, but getting out is about 10 times harder.
Richard Lu
新手會員
新手會員

文章: 11
註冊時間: 2004-10-28 06:01

文章gabby1 » 2007-08-27 00:30

Richard,

It really took me aback to read your message. You've done some thorough research about professors of the schools. Obviously I have to do my homework. But I just want you to know that I appreciate your message and the information you provided very much.

Gabby
gabby1
新手會員
新手會員

文章elton22tw » 2007-08-31 17:13

gabby1 \$m[1]:Richard,

It really took me aback to read your message. You've done some thorough research about professors of the schools. Obviously I have to do my homework. But I just want you to know that I appreciate your message and the information you provided very much.

Gabby
good day, everyone:

well, 6 years ago, i was a MBA student, now, i have prepared for PH.D for years.

i wonder that how many kinds of standards for application will make me get into top 20 school.

best regards!!
hello
elton22tw
新手會員
新手會員

文章: 2
註冊時間: 2006-01-27 18:12

文章hughes0305 » 2007-08-31 20:11

I don't think there is a "standard" to get into top 20 business school. To be specific, it's hard to define which schools are in the top 20 for PhD program. But the basic requirements are GMAT, TOEFL, GPA--quantitative, and previous degree, statement of purpose, recommendations--qualitative. If your quantitative part is fine, then you should focus more on the qualitative side. In general, the average GMAT and GPA(undergraduate) of the top PhD program are about 720 and 3.7, and they varies years to years and between different major(ie. finance requires higher GMAT). Hope this help.
頭像
hughes0305
中級會員
中級會員

文章: 179
註冊時間: 2005-11-01 23:50
來自: Maryland-USA

回到 PhD 申請交流區

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 3 位訪客