Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/formosam/public_html/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/formosam/public_html/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

FormosaMBA 傷心咖啡店 • 檢視主題 - 2008 JD Application

2008 JD Application

LLM, JD (Juris Doctor)

2008 JD Application

文章gujarati » 2008-05-31 20:10

As my cycle winding down, I would like to share my preparation and the result for the benefit of future Taiwanese applicants.

1. Applied Schools and results:

Harvard (WL)
NYU (Reject)
Columbia (Reject)
Berkeley (Reject)
Penn (Reject)
Michigan (Early Action; Reject)
Northwestern (Defer)
GULC (Reject)
UCLA (WL)
WUSTL (Acceptance with $$)

I applied to most Top 20 school, which don't require TOEFL.

2. Personal Profile:

GPA: under 3; LSAC give me an "average" evaluation. Actually, no GPA is showed in my JDCAS report.

LSAT: 168, 96%.

LOR: One from graduate school teacher, one from colleague, one from superior.

Soft factors: 5 years working experience in one of the top Taiwanese branding company; among which, 3 years was spent in Europe.

3. LSAT Preparation:

a. My first prep test score is around 155. Unlike most Taiwanese student, Game is my weakness. I can hardly finish the game section. Even when I strategically only complete the first 3 section to have more time per section, my hit rate is still low.

Powerscore help me a lot in this regard. I review every game meticulously to identify and memorize the key deduction required to crack the game.

b. Powerscore also is useful on the analytical reasoning sections. The most important factor, however, may be still solid reviewing. I actually collected all the questions I erred on, and find time to re-do them to make sure that I am familiar with the logic.

c. Vocabulary: I take note of every single word I don’t know and try to memorize them.

d. Prep test: since LSAT is a high time-pressured test, to take prep test under real test condition is essential for you to adjust your test-taking tempo. For myself, originally I only can complete 23 out 26 analytical reasoning questions. By reducing the time spent on easier question, and avoiding stuck at hard questions for too long, I increase the number of questions completed, while maintaining the hit rate. You may also want to notice the game is become much easier in recent years, while reading and analytical reasoning become harder.

In addition to the time pressure, doing prep test also help you to get used to the heavy mental processing loading the test require. In the beginning of my preparation, my brain slowed down considerably after two sections. By taking 4 to 5 prep test a week for 5 weeks, I eventually managed to finish the whole test without slowing down.

4. Online Resources:

You would like to check out some chinese website to download previous tests, and other preperation stuffs.

For general discussion of law schools, and advices and examples on personal statement, I will recommend www.top-law-schools.com.

5. Conclusion:
For international students, LSAT does play a decisive factor. One or two points difference may decide if you are admitted or waitlisted, or may decide if you get half-ride or full-ride. However, as showed in www.lawschoolnumbers.com, people with the same LSAT and GPA may fare quite differently in the same cycle, applying early, personal statement and other soft factors do also play a pertinent role.
gujarati
新手會員
新手會員

文章: 5
註冊時間: 2007-04-02 15:38

文章hungji » 2008-05-31 21:12

可否分享, 最後決定是甚麼呢 ?
頭像
hungji
中級會員
中級會員

文章: 291
註冊時間: 2005-06-24 14:06

文章yelloweriol520 » 2008-06-01 21:49

How old are you?
yelloweriol520
初級會員
初級會員

文章: 53
註冊時間: 2007-01-15 20:15

文章Nancy » 2008-06-02 12:14

Thanks for sharing. Being persistent and mentally tough may be the key to the success of your career. You did a great job on the LSAT test and wish you the best luck on the following journey of law school.
Nancy
新手會員
新手會員

文章: 11
註冊時間: 2005-02-23 11:50

文章duralyao » 2008-06-21 02:16

謝謝您的分享
我想問一下LSAC對於海外學生只評定說是average 之類
沒有show GPA 或是我們百分制的分數囉?
那學校收到的那份report會有分數嗎?
因為之前有看到人家說 海外申請者的報告是只有寫百分制的分數 沒有GPA
然後現在看到是等級
那到底會是哪個呀?? 謝謝
duralyao
新手會員
新手會員

註冊時間: 2007-01-28 01:21

文章gujarati » 2008-07-02 08:22

In addittion to the evaluation, LSAC alo will caculate your average score in its original scale; though, it won't transform it into 4 point scale GPA.
LSAC also will send a copy of your transcripts to the school you applied.
gujarati
新手會員
新手會員

註冊時間: 2007-04-02 15:38

回到 LLM, JD 申請討論區

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 1 位訪客